Fight Winter Sniffles with Echinacea
When it comes to feeling well, who can debate that one of the most important factors is a strong immune system. Having a strong immune system is like owning a personal army that fights off illnesses quickly and effectively.
Specific herbs and nutrients can help to build immunity within the body and assist the immune system in fighting off illnesses.
Did you know?
Interesting Cold & Flu facts:
- Colds and flu (upper respiratory tract infections) are the most common human infectious diseases and are the leading cause of absence from both work and school2
- The average adult experiences approximately 2 – 5 infections annually, with school children contracting the infections up to 7 – 10 times per year2,3
- In general practice respiratory infections are the most commonly treated condition amongst both infants and adults4
- Treatment given by General Practitioners for colds and flu do little to get rid of the infection, as they generally treat the symptoms not the condition. Common treatment methods include antibiotics, nasal decongestants, cough suppressants, antihistamines and analgesics2
- In most cases, antibiotic treatment is not appropriate to treat colds and flu’s, as they are caused by viruses and antibiotics are effective against bacteria5,6
Ask the experts…
Experts say as many as two billion people around the world have diets deficient in zinc. That is nearly 1 in 3 people!
New research from scientists in Florida found that zinc not only supports healthy immune function, but increases activation of the cells (T cells) responsible for destroying viruses and bacteria7.
Scientific reviews have also established that if zinc is used within 24 hours of cold symptoms first appearing, it can help to reduce the duration and severity of the common cold in healthy people. Additionally, if zinc is supplemented for a minimum of 5 months, scientists observed that the incidence of colds decreased, along with school absenteeism and antibiotic prescriptions in children8.
Time for tea
Enjoying a cup of herbal tea is a good way of hydrating during a cold. Morlife Echinacea Boost is a blend of powerful herbs including Echinacea, Olive leaf, Hibiscus flowers, Elderberry and Rosehips. It is an ideal herbal tea for a cold.