Quinoa – a healthy choice this Australia day!
Why we love quinoa!
Quinoa is an ancient ‘supergrain’ with worldwide popularity for its rich nutrient content. Quinoa is a source of antioxidants, essential minerals, protein and fibre ensuring complete wellness. This naturally wholesome supergrain is fast becoming a superior choice compared to other carbohydrates or grains. Quinoa is gluten free with a mild, nutty flavour. It can be eaten as porridge, as a rice substitute, mixed through salads or even added to desserts and baking.
- Contains significantly higher calcium, magnesium and iron content than other grains
- Source of antioxidants including carotenoids, flavonoids and vitamin C
- Source of protein, particularly the amino acids lysine, leucine and methionine
- Source of dietary fibre
How to prepare quinoa
It is usually advised to rinse quinoa before cooking as this will eliminate any remaining saponin content, making it more friendly for your digestion. Cooking quinoa is not as daunting as you may think, it’s very similar to cooking rice. If cooking on a stove top, simply add 1 cup of quinoa with 2 cups of water and bring to the boil. Then simmer for around 10 minutes or until water is absorbed.
- Warm salad of roast cauliflower & quinoa
- Quinoa Salad with Artichokes and Parsley
- Quinoa with Dried Cherries and Pistachios
- Quinoa and Parsley Salad
- Curried Quinoa Salad with Cucumber and Mint
- Black Bean-Quinoa Salad with Basil-Lemon Dressing
- Quinoa with Roasted Garlic, Tomatoes, and Spinach
- Spicy Grilled Shrimp with Quinoa Salad