Supercharge your immunity with vitamin C
One of the best ways to support your immune system in winter is by including wholesome, immune boosting foods in your diet every day. Foods rich in vitamin C are ideal and often contain further nutrients to support immunity such as anti-inflammatory bioflavonoids, betacarotene (the vitamin A precursor), vitamin E, B vitamins, fibre, enzymes and antioxidants.
- Oranges contain abundant levels of vitamin C plus folate and potassium. They also possess the plant pigments rutin, hesperidin and bioflavonoids, which assist in the absorption of vitamin C.
- Mandarins are high in vitamin C, betacarotene and potassium. They also contain pectin (a soluble fibre) which supports digestive function.
- Carrots are a rich source of carotenoids, especially beta-carotene, which can be converted into vitamin A in the body. Vitamin A plays a key role in supporting immunity.
- Mangoes are high in betacarotene, vitamin C and vitamin E (another potent antioxidant), whilst also being high in pectin (soluble fibre).
- Pineapple contains significant levels of vitamin C, vitamin A and the enzyme bromelain, which is a protein splitting enzyme that can benefit digestion.
- Lemons have high vitamin C content, whilst also containing vitamins A, B1, B2, B3 and bioflavonoids. Lemons have antiseptic and cleansing actions making them beneficial for those prone to infections and fevers.
- Limes are a good source of vitamin C and other antioxidants including ellagic acid, quercetin and kaempferol (a type of polyphenol).
If you want to boost your immunity even further you can top up with a wholefood powder containing concentrated, vitamin C rich foods such as those listed above. By incorporating these foods in your diet every day you can keep your immune defences super strong all winter long!